Saturday, May 2, 2020

Locked down

We've been in lock down for almost 8 weeks now. We don't have much to complain about, yet. We are fine so far...so are our families and friends. We haven't lost jobs or lost loved ones as a result of the pandemic. We haven't had the need to run to a food bank or a hospital, yet. So as far as we are concerned we are fine. I am not one to complain about being at home anyways. 

But I cannot say the same for others. More than 65000 people have died and over a million has been sick in this country. That's not good. Its crazy that we have been brought to our knees by an unseen virus. We have no answers yet other than to maintain physical separation to reduce the spread and hope that if you contract it, you will not be seriously sick or worse die. 

In a world where we give so much importance to technology, money, power suddenly we have no answers other than to stay put and hope for the best. Nature is powerful. If anyone doubted that in the past, I hope they think twice now. If anyone felt that they had power over nature and natural elements, I hope they think twice about it. Its also ironic that at the sometime price of oil tank like never before. In fact at one point it was in the negative. 

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at time. I am a deeply spiritual person and have long recognized the power of nature and our own limits when it comes to controlling the elements within and outside of ourselves. I am happy to abide by them and respect them. It's not a weakness...I don't have that attitude. It's an acceptance of the inevitable. I don't feel powerless as a result of a victim....it's opposite.

I feel empowered in the knowledge that I am part of something greater than myself. That there are powers that are beyond my control, no matter my feelings about them maybe. That I am subjected to those no matter what I feel about them, the timing of them. That includes sickness and death. Sickness, aging, death are part of nature and therefore an integral part of our human existence. I don't profess to understand the gamut of it or to have come to its acceptance. But I know it to be an inevitability. Just that understanding alone brings me a sense of peace. 

This time has been pretty challenge for most to say the least. But for us, it's been somewhat less because of our spiritual inclinations. We have been lucky to have spiritual teachers in our lives at this difficult time. They have continued to touch our lives, deepen our appreciation for the fragility of life, change our perspective and attitudes to make it easier on ourselves and help us fine gratitude for all that we have rather than NOT have. They have also over the years helped us find deep and meaningful solitude. We are not sacred of solitude. Being alone isn't a problem for us. Not being connected isn't a problem for us. This is because we have a different perspective towards 'being lone' and 'connectedness or lack of it.'

If there is anything that has stood true during this time is that understanding. None of us has to got stir crazy. A new word to my vocabulary. I didn't know what it was until someone told me/us. 

Being by ourselves doesn't have to be a painful experience. The reason that it is because we don't know how to and we haven't had the necessary practice for it. From the time we are born we are constantly surrounded by people and stuff.....this is a distraction. A distraction from being with ourselves. It's not a skill we are are born with. If it were there won't the word 'stir-crazy;. Also nothing able to socialize with others doesn't diminish our connectedness in anyways. I see socializing as another form of distraction for the most part. I am sure some of you will disagree with me vehemently. That's ok. But between you and I, you are the one who is going 'stir crazy' so perhaps you should just try it. If we understand that no matter where we are, we are always connected is a great feeling I have trained myself in. Feelings of love, care, empathy aren't things that we need from outside to inside to nourish us. They are qualities and stated of mind that (whether you believe or not) that comes first from within and then translates to the outside world. 

In world where we have placed so much on the outside, we have lost sight of the precious universe that lives within us. It can nourish us with love, companionship, empathy, kindness if we connect to it...that connectedness is what is creating the difficulties for most people. We are not connected within so we feel lost and isolated. If we find a way to make that connection whether we are with a group of people or alone we will always feel a sense of connection. At least to some degree.

I do hope people learn during this time and not just waste time complaining of what they can't have or don't have. Or worse wait in hope for a future that may or may not arrive. The time is now. Otherwise all the suffering that we have had to endure would be in vain. It'll only be a matter of time such a situation, and I am not talking about pandemics, would drive you crazy (perhaps not stir-crazy) and you'd be back to grumbling and complaining yet again, wishing for things to go away or hoping for a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment