Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Day 5 - Botswana

A couple of months before we were to travel to Africa, I saw that Botswana plans to life the elephant hunt ban. So I read up on it. Apparently the population had grown so much that they are becoming destructive of human crops and other stuff. So the locals are not happy and the government was under pressure to do something about it especially to the elections around the corner. But they were also keenly aware that it might have a negative impact on tourism. Botswana has been known for its conservation efforts. This is also the reason why we decided to travel to Botswana. So I was kind of disappointed. 

Then a few days before I left I saw that they had actually lifted the hunting ban of elephants. I think it’s a big mistake. Yes we have to stop them from destroying human crops, properties and livelihood. I am all for it. But it cannot or should not be done through hunting. 

I really didn’t have a solid reason as to why not until I was flying to South Africa. 

It occurred to me that elephants are some of the smartest animals next to humans. I have read somewhere that after a human and maybe an ape, elephants as babies have to learn to be an elephant. So that means it requires training and learning. They also have memories that span decades. They also grieve their dead as you can see from elephant grave yards. They are also very strong. 

Combined all of that, I think if we start hunting them, it’s only a matter of time they will learn that they ate being hunted. They will also most likely recognize that they are being hunted by humans. I think this is where the danger is. If they put these two together I think it might pose a huge risk to humans one that far supersceeda the threat we have now. Right now it’s only the locals. Going forward it could be any human including those who are tourists. 

So I feel people should find a way other than hunting then down. I mean aren’t human population one too many now?! How would we feel if someone start hunting us because we pose a threat to the long term well being of each other and the planet? How do we decide which one to go? Which member of the family to be put down? Would you chose a family member if you were made to make that choice? Or how would you feel if someone did that for you? 

I think it’s time we stop devaluing life no matter which form it appears in. Life is precious no matter who it is. Even a small ant doesn’t want to die or be hurt. It might not have a strong enough cognitive skills to realize and respond the way we do. But they sure feel the pain. I also don’t believe for a second that God created everything for the human consumption. First of all I don’t think God would be that stupid or selfish. I also don’t think He/She will give sole power to a group of beings. I think it’s the selfish nature of us humans that’s has manipulated even what God will and will not do. 

So we should take a pause and reflect what other ways we have to reduce the growing impact of over population of elephants. Surely we are capable enough to think and come up with alternatives other than hunting? Or is hunting the most convenient because it also promises money coming into Botswana through hunting permits etc. I think we always ought to come up with a compassionate way of handling these things. I think we forget that we are not the only ones who think and feel. We are not the only ones who feel loss and grief. Others too. If we are causing that to anyone else, no matter what shape and form they come in, then we are putting ourselves out there for the same to happen to us. Life is funny and it has a way of boomeranging on you. What goes around comes around. Circle of life and if all these philosophical stuff is mambo jumbo to you, read Newton’s third law which is for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction! 

No comments:

Post a Comment