Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Gratitude and Privilege

Ranil and I have travelled quite a bit considering we are relatively young. We done all the continents except Antarctica. We’ve done multiple counties within regions and visited some of the most beautiful and remote places on earth. Each time we go, we are reminded of what a privilege it is that we can do what we do. It also asks us to be humble and grateful for all that we get to see and experience.


Nature is majestic. There is no power that parallels nature and what it offers. If you are someone who believes in a God it will feel like you are in His/Her presence. We don’t believe a God. But we feel the power of nature whenever we travel. We are reminded again and again that we are only a small speck in this world and that there are things that are more powerful and beautiful than you can ever comprehend. It also tells me that we are also very much part of that greatness but that is a choice we have to make. 



We are the very fabric of the nature that surrounds us, if we allow it to to be. We are fed and nourished by it. To me it minds me of our own birth, life and death and how much beauty and meaning we can inject into it if we chose to be part of the greatness that’s in front of us. 



We were standing in front of the Victoria Falls today and I had shivers, like I do whenever I’m in the presence of nature with a clear presence of mind. We are grateful that we get to recognize that we are it and it is us. 



Whenever I am surrounded by nature I find that I am healed. It doesn’t happen in cities but when there is plenty of space unhindered and unobstructed by building and things and covered in man made noise, I feel that I feel better physically and even if I’m not I feel uplifted in spirits and absorbed into the vastness that’s nature! I find that fascinating. For years I called myself a city dweller or even a city girl but over the last few years I feel like I want to move away from that hustle and bustle. Maybe not all the time but some of the time to allow myself to feel the power of all that isn’t man made.



We’ve come to rely on our ability to manipulate things and beings. Also we seem so sure of ourselves and how we are able to carve out our surrounds to meet our goals / needs. I find that to be a bit disturbing. Nature allows me to see that there is not a lot within our control. That there is a course /a path that nature takes that whether we like it or not we ought to give into. I feel that more when I travel. But that doesn’t bother me. In fact it makes me feel relieved. But when I’m at home I can feel fear and agitation creep in to my head. Even through I don’t know why, i attribute it to the fact that nature has a way of reminding us of what is beautiful can also be ugly, what is dangerous can also be gentle, what is born dies, no matter how where you are in the food chain or hierarchy you all end up having to give that up through death or sickness or simply because it’s no longer your time. These reminders soothes me. I don’t know why and how and perhaps someday I’ll understand or maybe I won’t. But that’s ok, I just know there is something that I feel when i travel to remote places surrounded by nature, that is soothing and calming and yet a stark reminder of how limited our times is; how imperfect we are, and how one can be perfect in its imperfections. 



To these I am grateful. Because traveling opens up my way of looking at things differently because I have to, because nature makes you do so in a fierce yet but a natural way. I am grateful that it shapes me. I am grateful that it teaches me. I’m constantly aware of it and therefore is incredibly respectful of it. Nature has to be respected....even revered. For without it I won’t be here and I will not feel nourished and healed again and again . 

No comments:

Post a Comment